Saturday, December 04, 2010

An Allegory

My first article was "published" last week. I wrote a short article for our homeschool newsletter. I tried to copy and paste here on blogger, but it won't let me. I have to type in everything myself. That frustrates me when I would like to share it with everyone, but know that I need to get lesson plans done this morning. So here is my story typed very quickly... Growing in my kitchen is an avacado tree. It has enjoyed a spot in my window for over a year. Amos was learning about plants for one of his 4H projects, and seed germination was part of the study. We like a good guacamole in this house, and fresh is best, so we happened to have an avocado seed handy. Amos stuck toothpicks in the seed, positioning it in a jar to be halfway in the water. Then we waited. Time passed, and Amos had to turn in the project record, but nothing had happened to the seed. He was ready to throw the seed away since the project was over and he didn't need it anymore, but the guacamole lovers rescued the seed thinking it might be a great experiment to grow the tree and have some free avocados. The seed sat in the window for many months without any signs of growth. Matt and I continued to fill the jar with water as it evaporated, but nothing happened. Then, wonder of wonders, a crack formed in the seed. Great excitement filled the air, only to be replaced with despondency when nothing else happened. Months later a small sprout, barely visible, began to grow from the crack. Well here was some hope, but the water was green and looked disgusting there in the window. The growth was so slow that I considered throwing the whole thing out and just buying avacados. My husband didn't give up hope though, and the seed stayed put in the window. Finally last summer the sprout experienced a growth spurt. It grew toward the light, so we turned it, watered it, and fussed over it. Perhaps our dream of guacamole from our own yard was not in vain! The tree has 7 leaves now and other sprouts have started growing from it. Soon I may have to change the small jar for a larger one, but I am not thinking of throwing it out. Now I consider where we might plant the tree. At some point it will have to go outside. My husband and I will find just the riught spot to help it grow and produce. We will plant it in fertile soil that is well-prepared for our young tree, and then we will watch it grow. It will be a strong tree that produces awesome avocados for great guacamole. _________ I had another thought the other night. I feel like I am planting trees, but several of my friends feel like they are planting seeds. Maybe that is why they have a hard time letting their children go. Perhaps if they had looked at their children as future men instead of current children they wouldn't be having these issues.

1 comment:

LC said...

Wonderful story! You are so right about our mental perspective affecting our ability to let our children go. I had prayed for my son from infancy through young adulthood that God would prepare him for the spouse He had chosen for our son and that He would do the same for that young lady and her family. Eight years later our second child, also a son, came along. I confessed to my husband that I just hadn't been able to pray the same prayer for #2.

I will never forget what he said: "Of course, you can't. He's your baby!" I thank God for a husband who recognized that truth. At that moment I accepted that my role was to raise a young man, not keep him a baby. I started and continued praying. Now I have two wonderful daughters-in-law and six grands ages 8 years to 6 months. Thank you God!