Friday, December 31, 2010

Evolution of a Birthday Party

When my first son was born he would nurse by pushing his perfect little paws against me and kneading my breast like a puppy does its mother. That was how he got the pet name "Puppy". So, of course, for his first birthday it was a puppy theme. We had ham and cheese sandwiches cut with a puppy cookie cutter and puppy plates and napkins. The birthday cake was a homemade carrot cake sweetened with apple juuice. No artificial colors or sweeteners for my baby! Less than two years later we would celebrate the second child's first birthday with snowmen shaped chocolate cupcakes. His first word besides "Mommy" and "Daddy" was "Chocolate". There are many different parties in my memory. The first's third party included pumpkin pie instead of a cake because he much preferred pumpkin pie. The second child's fourth birthday was science themed mixing "potions" outside on the driveway and setting off rockets with alka-seltzer. There was a Cowboy party shooting cans off the fireplace with a dart gun, and the next year's Indian party that included a tipi in the back yard. There was once even a Cat party that included bringing cat toys and pet food to donate to the local animal shelter. We have never been big, expensive party people. The kids have been allowed to have over as many friends as their new age. We would celebrate with those few friends for a couple of hours, and then they would all go home. After the boys were about 10 years old, I told them they could have a few friends over for a sleepover or have the number of friends their age for a few hours. Ever since they have chosen the sleepovers. Sleepovers are not much trouble for me. The kids play, usually outside games like flashlight tag, and when I am ready to go to bed I tell them to stay inside and lock the door. In the morning I give them breakfast and then they leave. No themes, no decorations, just a cake and a couple of presents. My second baby turned 12 yesterday. He had a sleepover. They got up around 9:30 for breakfast, and then I made this announcement. "We are spring cleaning this week. You are welcome to stay all day long if you like, but we have to clean the two front rooms today. If you want to stay, you must first help clean those rooms. I will give you pizza for lunch, too." So they all chipped in and the rooms were done in just over an hour. No fancy decorations or themes, not even a cake since he asked to only have ice cream. Twelve is evidently the year that you learn the world does not revolve around your birth, and dirt must be fought every day of the year. Happy Birthday my Sweet Son!

No comments: