Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Fasting

The sermon Sunday was from Isaiah on true fasting. It seems the Hebrews were very good at fasting to fulfill requirements, but not good at fasting to be closer to the Lord. Preacher Man always gives us an assignment for the week, and this week it was to identify what is keeping us from the Lord and then to fast from it. I have decided urgency or stress is keeping me from my God. Hubby asked me how I plan to fast from urgency this week, and I told him, "I just am." I am making a conscious effort to not hurry, not be scheduled, not think about what else needs doing. Yesterday it looked like sitting on the couch for several hours and not finishing the laundry. Today it looks like going to a movie with my kids and maybe still not finishing the laundry. Tomorrow I don't know what it will look like since I am not allowed to schedule it. For some that may look like laziness; to me that normally looks like laziness. This week, however, it seems to look like Jubilee. I am not using all of the free time to just sit. I am using the time to worship and meditate. This morning I decided that I should read Psalms about rest. What did I notice? Rest brings great praise to the Father and Creator. So from what will you be fasting? ------------- Some of us would like to be fasting from the cold. I had to use a sledge hammer to break the ice for the animals this morning. When Hubby left for work he had to break it again. The high today is to be 32 degrees! That is February weather! Hopefully it won't last all winter. I lost all of the beautiful tomatoes in the greenhouse. The pea plants are holding on, and some of the lettuce is still ok, but it is not warm enough for anything to grow. Except kids. Just wait, all of my family, when you see us next week you will think I have been feeding the boys Miracle Grow!

No comments: