Thursday, December 09, 2010

Get That Out of the Sink

Remember the days when you argued with a parent, and the parent won? You muttered under your breath, "I'll never say that to my kid." Although there are things you swear you will never say to your kids, there are things you never thought you would have to say to your kids. My favorite is a friend who had to tell her young son, "Don't pee in your cereal bowl!" I am sure that one never made it to my list of things I will never tell my children. Yesterday another one passed over my lips, "Can you please get the bird skull out of the kitchen sink?" The boys dissected owl pellets last week, and they kept the bones they found. #2 also kept the bones from other kids' pellets. (What did those parents have to do to get kids who would NOT keep their pellet remains?) Anyway, the teacher had told the kids if they wanted to keep the remains, they needed to bleach them to get rid of pests and bacteria. The boys put them in the sink to bleach them, and somehow #2's didn't get any farther. The bird skull was actually quite interesting having a 3-4 inch bill still attached. No wonder the owl coughed that up! The bad part, though, was that there were still feathers attached to the skull. #2 had to pluck them out and bleach the skull some more. But with what to pluck the feathers? Hmm. "Can I borrow your tweezers?" So not only are there things you never thought you might say, but there are things you never thought you might do.

No comments: