Friday, May 20, 2011

WHEP

And what would summer vacation be without some learning?! I entered the boys- at their request!- in the 4H WHEP competition that was held last weekend. They had to read a guidebook (which we didn't really read since we were called away to WV) and then they took 4 tests on saturday. I took my two boys and another club member.
This is the aerial photo test. There are four aerial photos with areas circled on each one. The kids are given a list of animals and they have to identify which picture represents the best habitat for each animal.
This is the food test. They brought in "foods" like tadpoles, flowers, bark, etc. and the kids had to identify from the list which animals would eat which foods. No talking was allowed the entire time. I have to say the boys were good sports about spending a summer Saturday this way.
This was actually the first test and I liked it. The director brought out taxidermied animals for the kids to identify. This was a Teal-Winged Duck. Everything had to spelled correctly for credit. I was amazed that we didn't come in last place (next to last though), but not studying or even knowing how the test would be presented I wasn't expecting much. I thought the boys did great and we celebrated by going to get ice cream cones.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: