Monday, May 23, 2011

Symbolic Adoption

Attending the wedding this weekend made me think about all of the symbolism involved in a marriage ceremony. The bride wears white for purity. Two candles light one candle for unity. A ring has no end for the endless love of the marriage. But here is something new I hadn't thought about.
The guys wait up front for the girls to walk down the aisle. They are separated by a large chasm, the chapel area, until the couple are joined by God in marriage. There is a side for the bride's family and friends and a side for the groom's. But after the ceremony all are allowed to flow freely between the two.
God does amazing things. He has promised that if we keep our promises to him, he will keep his promises to us. Where two completely different families/groups are joined in a common goal- living together under His control- He will provide the glue necessary to hold them together.
Marriage is not dependent on looks, personality, ability to have children, job, money, or health. Marriage is dependent on whether there is commitment to God. He will save whichever marriage depends on Him to do so.
--------
While we were in WV for the funeral last week, I was talking on the phone with my parents. I gave them directions to the funeral home that is about 2 hours from their house. One of the boys asked who I was speaking to. My parents. Are they coming? Yes. WHY!?
"If you were adopted 21 years ago by someone, don't you think you would feel like family," I asked.
"Yes."
"Well your daddy was adopted then and his adoptive parents are going to his grandmother's funeral. If you are lucky you will be adopted by just as wonderful a family someday as your dad and I have been."

No comments: