Sunday, May 15, 2011

Cold, Wet Noses

Sleeping comfortably in my own bed again I was awakened by the wet coldness of the dog's nose nudging my arm. The rain was just starting to sound on the metal roof. Kelly doesn't like the noise that the rain makes, and she often enters our room to be comforted. But it was 4 a.m. and I was tired from the recent travelling; I patted her and rolled over.
She was not to be ignored. She put her feet up on the side rail of the bed and nudged me again. A lack of response on my part sent her to the other side of the bed. Perhaps she would have more luck there.
As the rain became more intense and the thunder and lightning began she came back to my side of the bed. She needed to be near me in the midst of the storm. She pushed herself harder against the bedside and shook uncontrollably as I patted her side and head.
When the storm finally passed she went to the foot of the bed and plopped down under the fan thoroughly exhausted from all of the excitement. Sleep didn't come back to my tired eyes though. I began thinking about this silly dog afraid of rain.
I become frightened of the storms of life that I don't understand. God could try to explain the situation to me, but it would be like explaininng rain to a dog, incomprehensible. When the rain starts I draw nearer to Him, asking for comfort and reassurance. The louder the storm, the closer I snuggle, yearning to feel His hand on my shoulder.
Sometimes my dog finds herself in a brewing storm when I am not at home. She wanders into the neighborhood looking for an open garage or safe looking porch. When she finds one she ducks in and accepts the shelter she finds.
Many people behave the same way. The farther they are from God the more likely they are to seek some other refuge when they discover the storm is raging. But I dare say all people are like my dog after the storm. We all put a little distance between ourselves and God, find a comfortable spot under the fan, and return to normal.
Please, God, let me always be found in your bedroom nudging your arm with my frightened, wet nose. And thanks for not rolling over away from this dog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This made me think of Champ. When I return home he always needs moments of reassurance and snuggling. The longer I am away, the more snuggling he needs, accompanied by whimpering and other pitiful sounds. Thankfully he is not afraid of storms; just mommy out of the house! anne