Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Contentment

Day 11 and the cold mostly seems to be gone. Hip Hip Hooray!

Sunday's sermon was the last in  a series on money. This one was on being content. Contentment means different things to different people. For some, contentment is being happy with what you have, for others it is being happy with where you are. Our assignment for the week was to make a list of all of the things that we want and then burn the list. We were to think about all of the things that we don't have and compare them to all of the things that we do have. Then in the comparison we would realize that our lists needed to be burned.

We invited members to join us last night for a list burning party. We had a campfire in the pit and hot cider to quench the thirst. There were 8 of us that met to talk and share and then to burn the lists.

There were only 2 things on my list. I fall into the second category: those who aren't happy where they are. I am happy here in this town with these people, but I am always trying to prepare for the next thing. I always wonder what will be and when will it be. I have lost a lot of present time because I live in the future.

So my list was Answers and Time. I need to give those up to the fire. I need to be thankful for the time and place that I have right now, because as I have learned way too many times (maybe noticed would be better than learned) I lose precious memories by trying to plan ahead.

I guess I will go put those books for next year away now.

No comments: