Saturday, October 22, 2011

He's My Kid

Here is another irritating example of why I didn't care for the Driver's Ed Instructor. The last afternoon that I dropped off #1, the instructor said he would be done at 8:30. He was supposed to be done at 7:00.
"8:30!?" I asked, quite startled and annoyed.
"Is that a problem?"
"Well yes. He was supposed to be somewhere at 7 and was already going to have to be late for it."
"Then he can be done at 7."
"Can you drop him at the other high school? That sure would help me out."
"Sure. Whatever."
Sounds nice, huh? Just wait.
So the other kid gets on the phone to ask if her mom can pick her up at the other high school. The instructor says you can't drive with a phone in your hand, so I say- thinking that I am helping- "Well he can drive first so you can start. He doesn't have a phone."
Now it starts...
"Well he has to have a phone when he starts driving."
"No he doesn't."
"Yes. he does."
Now I am wondering is there a law I don't know about? But I am fairly certain that they can't MAKE you have a phone when you drive. There are even laws AGAINST using a phone in the car.
"He doesn't need a phone. I drove without one for twenty years."
"Yes, Dear, but they don't have phones with coin slots anymore."
"He'll be fine."
"I bought a phone for my wife to drive to Goldsboro. It's just safer."
Ok Folks, Goldsboro is about 45 minutes away. I used to drive from Texas to West Virginia with two babies and no other adult, and guess what, NO PHONE EITHER!!! But I managed to bite my tongue and make a feeble concession that if he needs to use a phone sometime he can always take mine with him. Of course if he does that I can't rescue him since I evidently can't leave the house without a phone. Oh my word.

No comments: