Sunday, October 23, 2011

Only in Eastern NC

My parents came for a visit a couple of weeks ago. They brought down our yearly beef ration. Yum Yum! We eat very well thanks to them. The beef filled a whole chest freezer and should last us until next year. I love filling the crock pot in the morning and smelling the delicious aroma all day.
We also butchered NINE roosters while they were here. My dad is so much better at it than I am, so when he comes for a visit I try to get some help with the chore. I didn't realize I had so many roosters. They are free range and I hadn't counted them. I just knew that when I looked out he bedroom window I usually saw dinner crossing the road.
My dad brought his chainsaw to help with clearing up after the hurricane, too. We chopped up a lot of the tree that split, and I asked if we could keep the chainsaw until Thanksgiving when we see them again. He said yes, so now Hubby has some clearing to do in the next few weeks!
My mom likes to eat at Dixie Queen when she is here visiting. It is a local fish restaurant, and the food is good. Of course there is a reason it is good, and it is best to only eat there on special occasions, like a visit from the parents.
It is a local establishment and therefore it has a local flavor. There is a bulletinboard in the waiting area where you can put up your business card. I think they draw for a free meal once a month or so. Anyway, Hubby and I were looking at the board and found a couple of funny things.
One was an advertisement for a barbering magazine. It was so funny I took it off the board to save for a blog post. It's ok. The date had passed on it.
"Its going down! No magazine like this has ever been released in G---, NC. History in the making!! Platinum Barbering Magazine Release Party...and on it goes. It featured "Tyler Perry's Barber and Madea's Stylist" There was even a $25 registration. Funny.
The other funny thing was this poster of a jackass. Hubby didn't get it at first. He thought they were selling the jackass. "It would be illegal if it was a human," I told him. Then he saw the part about breeding. Yep. They are selling rights to breed with this award winning jackass! Step right up!! Too funny.

 It was a great visit with my parents. We got a good bit of work done and also enjoyed playing together, too. Hubby and Dad watched some football together, and Mom and I went over to Washington for a walk around the waterfront. The weather was perfect for a change, and we had no rain. It rained for a week after they left of course. Goodbye Sunshine!

No comments: