Monday, October 17, 2011

Nature Pix

Several years ago our 4H club was working on a backyard habitat program. Each family in the club was supposed to make some sort of a backyard habitat in their yards. Our project turned into a rather large project. We ended up asking the club to come and help us. Each habitat should have a source of water for the wildlife. My boys decided to dig a pond. By hand!
 There is an area of our property that stays wet most of the time, so it seemed perfect for a pond. During our Environmental Science studies we have discovered this is what you call a vernal pool. It only has water part of the time. The last couple of years we have experienced bad summer droughts, and the little pond often has nothing but weeds in it. But after this fall's deluge, it has held water for a couple of months now!
 Vernal pools are great places for amphibians and reptiles because they don't have to deal with predator prey issues as much. No fishies to eat them up, you see. So our vernal pool is full of tadpoles right now. I mean FULL.

 After we dug the pond years ago, I dug up bulbs that were around the house. They come up in the fall after we have a lot of rain, usually the third or fourth week of September. I don't know what they are called, but they really are lovely. They grow all around the pond now, and from the house the circle looks like it is on fire.

 My garden is a laughing affair. I really wish I could put more time to it, but alas, we all know that story. The okra has taken off though. I love the flowers, they are so pretty. I am the only one in the family that eats okra, so a lot of it goes to waste. What a shame.

 Fall means these purple weed-looking flowers bloom in the front of the house. They were here when we moved in, and I don't know what they are either, but I enjoy them. Evidently the autumn butterflies do as well.


 This is the Bradford Pear tree that split during the storm. It sprang back to life as quickly as it could. New sprouts are all over the broken pieces, and FLOWERS appeared as if it was spring!
I have to spend the weekend getting out winter clothes and sorting through what fits and should be kept and what should be passed along. I know it will soon be chilly, even if the pear tree doesn't.

No comments: