Friday, March 23, 2012

And the Winner Is...

I took two teams to the Coastal Envirothon this week. This is my third year to coach a team, and we did well. It has been a nerve wracking couple of months for the middle school team, as two members left us and a third nearly did. You have to have three members to make a team, so I was very concerned for my #2. The two who are left with him are young, 11 years old, and inexperienced. #2 took over as team leader and led them to victory! They placed #1 in our region!! Besides that the registration that I took care of online back in JANUARY had not gone through and when we got there we weren't even registered! My nerves were shot.
 #1 had to participate since I am teaching this as part of Environmental Science for high school. You can see below how very excited he was about it. (lower left corner, yawning) This was my first year to have a high school team. The test was very hard, but they managed to place sixth, so they still get to go to the State Competition April 20-21.

 The actual competition day is not a whole lot of fun, but a few of the stations provide some hands-on activities. Above, there was a snake at the middle school Wildlife station, and below, there were some fish activities in the high school Aquatics division. It was nothing compared to what they have done all year in class, but at least it woke them up a bit.

So now we prepare for the next competition. #1 is singing with joy, and my writing is laden with sarcasm.

No comments: