Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Validation

My boys and I are leading a new 4H club in the county. Actually, it was a club that started last year and fizzled, so we are taking over in hopes of reviving it. Today was our first meeting. I sort of led the meeting and an activity, and my boys helped the kids to manage themselves through it. Then they split the group up and each of my boys led a smaller group in an activity.
While they led the smaller groups, I met with some parents to answer questions, get paperwork, etc. One parent had lots of questions, but she didn't seem to believe my answers.
How much commitment will this be at home? None, unless your child shows over time that she wants to do some of it at home.
How much does it cost? Nothing.
So you will meet here once a month and I don't have to do anything else? Correct.
Why are you doing this when you don't have any kids in this school? Well, for the kids. And for my kids. And... because I believe in 4H.
She just stared at me. Stunned.
"You are a very generous person," she finally managed. Then she went to meet my boys and talked with them a few seconds. She came back and said, "You have done something good. I know as parents we often question ourselves, but I want to tell you, you have obviously done something right. Good job."
Music to my ears.

No comments: