Sunday, March 04, 2012

Who's Your Daddy?

I just watched part of a movie that was on tv. I don't know the name of it, but it was about an eleven-year-old black girl who was cruelly raped, beaten, and nearly killed. Her father shot the two men who did it. Of course they were white, and it took place in the South. A fair trial was impossible.
The final summation made by the defense attorney was to have you imagine what the girl went through, and then to imagine that she was white. I supppose that would help some people, but I would rather ask, what would you want your daddy to do if you were the little girl?
I would want to know he cared enough to risk it all in order to save me. I do not think it is right to kill others, in any situation, but I do think it is justified to have a sense of security, of value, and of importance. I would not ask my daddy to kill those horrible men, but I would somehow expect him to make some sort of effort that would lead to justice.
Perhaps I am wrong. Perhaps there are times when killing is justified. Perhaps there are times when there is no other way to bring about justice than by killing. Perhaps that is why my Daddy killed himself in order to save me.

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son; that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

No comments: