Sunday, March 25, 2012

Midnight Showings

It seems in the last several years the "in" thing with movies has become the midnight showing. Last summer, I allowed #1 to go to a midnight showing with two friends to see Harry Potter. It was the last in the series, and #1 was 14 1/2 years old. I did not think he was old enough to go to a midnight show  unchaperoned, but since he was with two friends I allowed it. I took them, and then I slept in the van while they watched the movie. That way, I thought, if something happens, I am very close by, and they can come right out. It went well...and set a precedent.
So this past weekend The Hunger Games came out, and again there was a midnight showing. Many of #1's friends were going to attend, but he never asked me if he could go. #2 had been asked by some of the friends if he would like to go, but I told him he isn't old enough for a midnight movie. On Thursday, the day of the midnight show, #2 says to #1, "I hear there are still some tickets available at the Carmike." And that's when it started.
I suppose since I didn't say anything, #1 took it to mean that he would be allowed to go. When we got home, he asked his dad if he would pick him up from the show. Hubby looked at me and asked what was going on. Anyway, this went on for a long time, and I "lectured" #1 about taking risks. He didn't ask to go to the movie because he thought I would say no. Now he couldn't get a ticket to the show with his friends, and I didn't want him going alone at midnight. If he would have taken the risk, he might have gotten what he wanted, or he might not have, but at least he would know. Without taking the risk all he got was nothing.
His response? I got a bigger lecture by not asking than if I had asked! Maybe that will teach him!

Anyway, we ended up letting him go to the theater near us that still had tickets. He didn't get to go with a friend, so I don't think it was as fun as he had hoped, but at least he can face his friends with movie knowledge. His dad took him and then came home to sleep on the couch until 2:00 A.M. to go get him. I woke up at 1:45, so I went to get him instead and let Hubby go on to bed. There were lots of other parents picking up kids too. I think we need a new fad: 7PM showings.

No comments: