Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Do You Trust Me?

This morning when I woke up #1 for the day he stopped me to ask a question. "What did you talk about at your HOME meeting last night?"
"Well, I didn't speak at the meeting, but there was a police officer who talked about internet safety with us."
"What did he say?"
This was odd, for my boy to care about what happened at a homeschool meeting, but I told him about some of the scenarios the cop talked about, about not friending people you don't know, etc.
Later this morning he brought it up again. "Mom, what all did the police officer say at the meeting?"
"Well, if you will go get my purse I can read you the notes that I took."
So he did, and I did. Then...
"A. said that her mom told her the cop was giving something out to help parents spy on their kids."
Ahh. Here it was, the reason he was so curious. Yes, I explained, he did give us a cd, but I didn't see how it was any different than checking the history on the computer, which I already do, and he knows that. I had talked to his dad last night, and we both said we aren't concerned about the things that the cop talked about. We have good boys, and we trust them to do what is right. (Of course I check their history, too, just to keep them on the straight and narrow.)
That seemed to satisfy him. "Good. I didn't want to ask you about what the cop said, but you weren't saying what A. said, so I wondered if you didn't trust me. I don't think you should have internet if you can't trust your kids."
-----------
Thank you God for good kids. Trustworthy kids. Kids that make me proud to be a mother. They are a blessing from you, Father. Amen.

No comments: