Sunday, April 08, 2012

Goodbye Dear Dog

As you know, on my blog I name my children by number in order to protect us a bit. My dog, however, goes named, and often unkindly. She positions herself in doorways, and we trip. She wakens us when storms come at night, and we end up sleepless. She follows me around the house and disturbs my day.
But in the last year especially I have come to have a spiritual bond with this mongrel. I began to realize that she is to me as I am to God. She makes messes and expects me to clean them up. She looks for food and expects me to feed her. She sees me put on shoes, and she plans on walking beside me. She has shown me what I must become: completely and totally dependent on God for my safety, my sustenance, and my friendship.
Yesterday, my dog took a journey that I have yet to take with my Master. She willfully disobeyed and ran after a car. She was struck and killed. Though I miss her terribly, again I find myself learning from her. I must never disobey my Master or it could end so very badly. Spiritual death is so much worse than physical.
The boys were sad to lose their dog. We had her ten years. #2 was found sleeping on the couch this morning holding his Oo-Oo, the monkey he slept with as a small boy. #1 takes time to process things, so he will probably lose it mid-week. He did want to help bury her though. Hubby is sad to lose her as well, but I think I am the most torn up about it.
She was a pain and a nuisance, and she was greatly loved and cherished. I pray that my Master will think of me as fondly when I finally journey to Him.


-----------------------------
Today Hubby began a new sermon series, The Gospel According To... Today was according to Jesus. We were then given an assignment: For a month we are to write down daily what good thing the Lord has done for us that day. I am going to try to write my thanksgivings here on the blog.
Today, as we worshipped on Easter Sunday, my husband told the congregation that some days are great and others are not, but you must find something to thank God for. Then he went on to say that our dog died yesterday, and it was a bad day. The congregation made a collective, mournful, "oohhh..." upon hearing hte sad news. I felt very loved at that moment. Thank you God for a family of Believers.

No comments: