Saturday, April 21, 2012

Rough

Preacherman gave us this assignemnt two weeks ago, the day after my dog died. "Keep a daily journal of gratitude to God. Write down what you are thankful for each day."
Could he possibly have chosen a worse time?! The day after our dog of ten years was killed in front of my very eyes? Then a goat died. Then we had to pay taxes. Then the house had to be repaired. Money had to be found. And today? My chickens were attacked while I was out of town, not sure what did it, but I lost all but 2 of the chicks and even lost 2 adult chickens. Then I spoke with my M-I-L to check on Grandma, and she is not doing well. She will be moved to a nursing home in the next day or so.
So what could I possibly find to be thankful for?
I took my two Envirothon teams to competition this weekend, and I was able to spend some time with an "aquaintance friend". You know, the kind you can have a lovely conversation with, but she doesn't know all of your troubles. It was so nice to talk to someone about nothing, and to have some time when I wasn't dwelling on the sadness and loss.
I finished reading Our Town while I was waiting on the kids to compete today. The overall theme is that this world is soooo temporary. That the eternal is what is important. That we need to slow down, forget our troubles, and really see the people in front of us. I needed to hear that.
So I am thankful for casual friends and timely morals.

No comments: