Saturday, April 28, 2012

Four Days

This was testing week and a very busy, tiring time for me. I did, however, make mental notes of what I was thankful for each day. Hope you have a great weekend.

Wednesday
After testing today I took #2 to the park. #1 had to go to an SGA meeting, so we dropped #2 off at the park, I spent 45 minutes teaching my private student, and then I returned to the park to gather up #2. Instead, I stayed for two more hours. The kids played kickball and hiked the wooded trail. It was so sweet to sit with friends and chat at the park. I haven't done that, literally, in years.
We talked about books, marriage, curricula, teenagers, and who knows what else. It was an unexpected, relaxing treat. Thank you, God, for days at the park.

Thursday
Since yesterday at the park was so nice I thought we would try it again. My thankfulness took an unexpected twist. The moms were a different bunch this day. Most of them are my age, and they have young kids, preschoolers. As they tried to visit with each other they would have to run over to the playground to help a child with the ladder or to push on the swing. I was thankful that those days are over. It would be fun for a day, but I don't want to live it all the time.

Friday
Standing in the hallway between the bedroom and the kitchen, I heard a thud. It was the thud you dread, of a bird flying into the window. Hubby, reading in bed, looked at me and I at him. He looked out the window and, sure enough, there was a female cardinal lying in the grass. We were fairly certain she blinked, so I went out to have a look. As I appraoched the tiny bird, she sat up but didn't fly away. I picked her up and let the boys look at her through the window.
She was absolutley beautiful. Brown feathers down the back of her neck looked like fur, and a crown of fine, reddish-orange feathers graced her head. She was panting with fear. I took her over to a bush to put her on a limb. The poor thing fell right off and hit the ground. I gingerly picked her up again and placed her in a different bush with more support.
Later in the afternoon, I went out front to check on her. She was still sitting right where I left her. As I approached from the porch, she looked at me and then took flight. She flew across the road and landed in the holly tree. It wasn't much of a flight, but at least I knew that she was going to be ok.
I thanked God that the little bird had healed and was going to be fine. Then I thought about it some more.
Sometimes I run into a window in my life. Everything looks good, safe, amicable, and then THUD. I am dumbstruck by life. Fear overtakes me, and I lie still hoping no one notices. My Father places me in a bush to rest and recover; sometimes the bush is large and safe and sometimes it is just a temporary breathing spot. But He offers me safety and support for as long as I need it, and the next time that danger unexpectedly approaches, I am ready for flight.
So instead of just being thankful that God watches over the birds of the air, I ended yesterday being thankful that my Lord watches over me. He guides, teaches, and protects me, so that I can continue to serve him no matter what happens.

Saturday
The boys participated in a Relay for Life event last night. They went with the youth group to support a woman from our church who was diagnosed with cancer this past year. The idea was for them to spend the entire night at the event, through noon today. But at 4:13 A.M. my phone rang. It took me a while to rummage through my pants pocket and find the phone, but then I called back.
"You tried calling?"
"Yeah. Everyone is tired, so we are coming home. You need to unlock the door for us."
The youth minister packed them up and brought them home at that awful hour of the night/morning. And I was thankful for J. He faithfully teaches my kids to be servants of Christ, to read the Word and study for themselves, to have Christ in themselves and to be Christ to others. Thank you God for J. and all of those who are helping to show my children what You look like.

No comments: