Thursday, May 24, 2012

Berkshires, Part 1

 Hubby and I can now say we walked the Appalachian Trail. The first day of our vacation, we headed over to a state forest to do a little hiking. They had had rain the day before and it was a bit wet, but after 12 hours in the car the day before, I needed to walk! Hubby and I headed out on this trail, not knowing it was part of the AT. The boys didn't want to hang with the old folks, and having heard it might be wet and muddy, they asked to start walking toward home on the road. We had driven more than 5 miles through the forest, so I didn't expect them to get too far and agreed.
 The path was well marked, but very rocky. Every trail we took in Massachusetts was littered with rocks. It reminded me of all of the rocks I picked up out of the garden when I was a kid. You don't have rock problems in Eastern Carolina!
 Speaking of rocks, this overhang was pretty. It reminded me of my first "non-date date" with Hubby. He picked me up to go to Cooper's Rock State Park with the church college group. I thought he was with another girl because she sat in the front seat with him. Evidently, I was the intended date, but she didn't know it. She was dating a guy from another state.
 Signs of beaver were very evident. This was an amazing example of a beaver getting tired and quitting. I had Hubby stand behind it so you could see how big the tree is. Hubby wants me to be sure you know he isn't peeing here.
 They were doing some work on the dam wall of the lake, so the water was down. We could see this lodge really well. I was interested in the entrance holes.

 Above and below you can see some fresh signs of beaver. They seemed to be very busy in the Berkshires. As we drove around to other towns we noticed lodges in the wetland areas near the roadways.
 Below is a lodge that was still in the water, so perhaps it had occupants. I couldn't tell.

The lake we were walking around was built by the CCC in the 1930s. They also built this picturesque bridge. We had a lovely walk enjoying the sights and visiting with each other.

 The boys would have seen lots of wetlands on their hike home as well as these wildflowers that grew along the side of the road. They were an interesting shape. The boys actually got farther than I expected, walking about 5 miles before we caught up to them. They wanted to continue walking, but it was past lunch time, and we thought they should ride home. It started raining on our way home so it was good that they rode, not in #1's opinion who loves rainy walks, but in his mother's opinion.
---------------------
Update on #1...I spoke with the mother who went up last night to check on them. She said they are doing well. They have gone on some tours, and done some community service. They sorted rotten potatoes for a food bank. They now all three have an aversion to potatoes! She also said that #1 walked a girl back at lunchtime to get her wallet. The other guys asked why he did that and he answered that he wasn't letting a girl walk through the streets of downtown Raleigh by herself! I have raised a gentleman after all!! I will call him tonight, but mostly I have tried to stay out of his business. He seems to be handling it well. Perhaps there is hope for the future. ; )

No comments: