Tuesday, May 15, 2012

We've Got You Surrounded

I found a secluded little beach area to sit and meditate. It was a cool, shaded beach, surrounded by trees and grasses. I sat down on a log and watched the water for a while. My gaze was interrupted by a sailboat. The Boy Scouts had raised sails on some of their kayaks and were enjoying the day on the water. I loved the bright rainbow colors on this sail.
 Then I noticed the sail overtaken by a bunch of black pirate sails! I felt like I was watching an attack. The bright colors of the rainbow were overtaken and captured by the blackness of the pirates. It looked like it was all over for the good guy.
But look, in the distance, here come more of the good guys! Yeah!! Soon colorful kayaks and sails were outnumbering the blackness. The good guys were winning again!
It reminded me of the story in I Kings 19. Elijah, a prophet of God, is running for his life. All around he sees evil and just knows that he is all alone. He cries out to God and asks why God allows this. God answers him, "So Elijah, now tell me what are you doing here?" Elijah answered, "I've been working my heart out for God, the God-of-the-Angel-Armies, because the people of Israel have abandoned your covenant, destroyed your places of worship, and murdered your prophets. I'm the only one left, and now they're trying to kill me!" God answered, "...I'm preserving for myself 7,000 souls, the knees that haven't bowed to the god Baal, the mouths that haven't kissed his image." The Message.
At least I am in great company when I feel all alone. God's mighty prophet felt the same way.

No comments: