Saturday, October 07, 2006

We participate in something called "co-op" with other homeschoolers. We meet once a week for 6 weeks and the moms offer classes for kids to take together. It has been a great opportunity for our family and many others. My boys have taken classes like P.E., baking, sign language, drama, art, and The USS Constitution. I have offered classes on citizenship, economics, music, and other topics. The kids have so thoroughly enjoyed these weeks that they now go sit in the van up to TWO HOURS early so they can be ready to go!!! We also have had co-ops of our own, last year one on science topics and one on insects. This fall we have a geography co-op that is learning about the 50 states. I have been thanked several times by #1 for arranging that co-op. He likes public speaking, and the kids have to present on their state every other week. It was a lot more commitment than I am used to (14 weeks), but I think it has been well worth it. I love being involved in what and how my children are learning. I can't imagine life any differently now. Last night, #1 was remembering when he was in public school. He said it was an awful lot of sitting and being quiet. Not much of a memory compared to what he gets at home.

No comments: