Saturday, December 30, 2006

At 2:30 a.m. one of the kids' walkie talkie radioes went off, screaming loud static through the house. I don't know what set it off, but it was the end of my restful night's sleep. I spent a lot of the rest of the night in thought and prayer. Today is my baby's 8th birthday! The time has flown. In 8 years he has had 4 homes: PA, WV, TX, and NC. He was supposed to be born on December 18th, one day after his great-grandfather and namesake's birthday, so we had hoped for a day early delivery. Not only was he late, but he had to be forced to come out on the 30th; which worked out ok since it means he shares the birthday of my father and many other friends and relatives. (Happy birthday Dad, Aunt Shirley, Jimmy, Jane, and others. I also happen to know it was the conception of Ian, so happy conception to him!) Anyway, #2 has been late ever since! If we are going somewhere he is always the last in the van. He is the last in the shower, in line, to eat, to clean up, to finish schoolwork; you name it. That should not always be viewed in a negative light. He is courteous to let others go first, he never over eats, and he notices things in life that others don't take the time to notice. He will not have a stress-related disease. #2 was angry that we forced him to be born and loudly pouted about it for about 5-6 months. He was not cuddly or cute, had skin problems, and cried a lot. It was hard to learn to love him. But around 18 months, he turned into the most lovable child you will meet. He still gives out hugs all day long, and will gladly kiss his mother. (I think that is partly to annoy his brother who won't kiss me anymore, but I take what I can get!) He is kind toward all and just as generous. For his birthday this year he asked friends to give him cat and dog toys instead of presents. He is donating them to the animal shelter. He often puts his spending money in the collection at church, just because he wants to, and the Salvation Army Bells seemed to ring only for him at Christmas. He will share his toys, books, time, and love with equal enthusiasm to all. Sounds great I know, but he does have his foibles. He is reckless and thoughtless when it comes to safety. He has had stitches, been bitten by many things, played with snakes, hung himself, leaped off high perches, and other dangerous escapades I am sure I don't want to know about. The Good Lord has posted extra sentries to guard him. His attitude through his short life has been one of conviction. I would often tell him he couldn't do something and he would say, "Yes I can. Watch!" I had to explain that what I meant was he was not allowed to do the thing! I pray that he will always have the inner strength to persevere through life, continuing to be a generous and thoughtful soul. May God bless my 8 Year Old. ____________ Now I must move on with my day to prepare for 8 small guests for lunch and a Cat and Dog party; complete with a cat pinata!

No comments: