Sunday, December 31, 2006

Just like everyone else, I am thinking about the year in review. Here are my thoughts for our family. Hubby has had a good year. His exercise research program has gone well. Though he hasn't lost a lot of weight, I can certainly tell he is healthier. He has more energy and seems perkier. He was also able to begin teaching college this year. This has been a dream of his for many, many years and it has been a good experience. Several people have begun reading Scripture in a new light because of his class. He has put up well with me and my "farmette"; building a fence, new goat pen, rabbit nests, etc. He attended his 20 year high school reunion, and looked great. Who was that gorgeous lady on his arm!? #1 has shot through the roof this year. Summer is normally the time for growth, but his has continued all year long. We will be going through clothes again this week to get out a new size. He played on a basketball team in the spring and enjoyed that. Now he looks forward to trying martial arts. The big news, though maybe not in his eyes, was winning the State Gold Award in 4-H for his nutrition project. He still loves books and stories, often making up his own. He was in a play in the spring too, starring as Jiminy Cricket on a talk show for fairy tale characters. He loves being on stage and had lots of practice giving speeches in geography and joining in the church talent show as a comedian. During our family vacation in the Smokies, he gave his first sermon at our family church time. He planned the entire service. #1 also got glasses this year, a sign to me of how old he is getting. #2 has finally grown as well. He is still petite, but getting some height on him in the last few months. This was the year for stitches- having 2 active boys would make you think we have had them before, but the boys must be graceful- he ran into a door jam at top speed. He also played basketball on a team this spring, but it wasn't what he had imagined. He spent most of the games talking to whomever he was supposed to be guarding or spinning in circles to get dizzy. He did enjoy himself though. He has dug holes in the yard, made potions with stuff in the ditch and driveway, played with bugs, climbed trees, tromped through muddy fields, and cradled his kitten. He is all boy on the outside, and all sweetness on the inside. He also gave speeches in geography, but much more enjoys being behind the scenes. I have had an interesting year. I have enjoyed being in a spiritual growth group with some women from church. It fills the void that I sometimes feel here, out of the Bible Belt. I have been busy with my little farm; unsuccessfully growing a garden, raising chickens, goats, and rabbits, seeing our first goat born, enjoying stars at night, I love it. Travel was a biggie this year. I especially enjoyed our trip to Philadelphia, NY, and Canada. Renewing friendships and sharing the experiences with my sons were priceless. The trip to DC in October only added to it. Getting a good bill of health from the doctor was a great relief- guess I don't have to go back for another 6 years!! Caring for the 3 extra children has been a blessing- the money as well as having the children. Homeschooling has been evolving with us and I seem to have hit my philosophical stride at last. Teaching in co-ops and helping lead 4-H give me an outlet for my creative juices. As far as resolutions...I made 2 for 2006. I was going to get up earlier and I was going to take life slower and quieter. Until about October I did well getting up earlier. I would wake at 6:10 and have my devotional time and then head out to the barn. The last couple of months have found me too tired to keep that up. Hubby wonders about the time change and I wonder about anemia, a suggestion from the doctor. So I bought some iron pills to try that and will also try to get to bed earlier so I can rise earlier; that will be my resolution again this year. As far as taking life slower and quieter: I have decided it is an issue of pride. I tried hard to limit my schedule, but it continually filled up. I think I want to make sure the children have as many oppportunities as more "elite" children and I also like having center stage. So I will again try to live a quiet life, reminding myself that it is better for my stress level as well as my secret sin of pride. 1 Thessalonians 4:11 "Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands..."

No comments: