Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Yesterday, #1 was working on a 4-H project and he had to describe what was similar and different among his friends. I don't think he knows that one comes from a divorced situation, and I didn't bring it up, but it was something I thought of. Out of 4 children, that was the only one from a divorce. Pretty good odds for today, I would say. My children don't ask much about divorce, and the only one they seem to have picked up on is Buster in the cartoon Arthur. Their friends come from intact homes, their extended families are intact, their church family has little divorce. My children are lucky. I had a very negative impression of divorce as a child. My father comes from a family of 13 and my mother from a family of 4. There are 2 divorces in my father's family and none in my mother's. The first in my father's was a situation of abuse. I wasn't told that as a child, just that Uncle Donnie wouldn't be around anymore. I don't know what was told to me, but I know when she remarried, I did not call the new husband "Uncle." The second divorce was when I was in high school and it was a lustful situation. I was not allowed to go near the "culprits" for quite a while, and still do not call her "Aunt." It isn't as much intentional now, as much as, she is my age and it would be strange. My parents split up for a while when I was just out of college. It was painful, made me angry, a time of confusion. And that was when I was an adult and married myself. I can not imagine what a child must go through in a divorce. May God bless all of our marriages with love and understanding.

No comments: