Monday, December 04, 2006

The weather was cold and rainy for the funeral; very appropriate for a child's funeral. I didn't attend, but Hubby said it went well. The father couldn't be there and it is just tragic. We will be praying for his strength for a long time. His family was at church yesterday. ___________ Today is the first official day of winter break for us. I have to say I am as excited as the children. I am looking forward to cleaning the house really well. (I am so easy to excite!) I may have the kids put up the Christmas tree this week. Right now we are making paper airplanes and testing them. As a young girl picturing herself as a mother, I never thought about paper airplanes. Of course, I wanted daughters! ___________ I made cheese last week and sold it this weekend at a 4H bake sale. It sold well. Perhaps I have found a way to make these goats profitable! ___________ We finished up the university art class on Thursday and then went to Statesville to stay with a friend for the night. On Friday morning we left for Winston-Salem and the Old Salem Village. It is the first Moravian settlement in NC. It was very interesting to think about such a place of culture in the backwoods of NC 300 years ago! It was a communal type village, and I don't know that I would do well there. They sent their children to live at the school at age 6 and then they went to live in a house with other single people at age 13. The guide laughed at my comment about that, and went on to say how much do you think you see your children with computers, tvs, and gameboys. He was asking the wrong person!!! He did go on to explain that they came home every day for lunch, for a bit in the evening to help with chores, and if they were sick. The family houses were not built big enough to accomodate large families. That was part of the reason for sending out the children.

No comments: