Saturday, December 09, 2006

Boy is it cold! I am loving the new heater. The electric bill wasn't as low as I had hoped, but the house is warmer than last year, and the electric was still lower than last year. All of the animals' water had frozen over and they were really thirsty. I broke open the tub of water and goats, chickens, and cats came running. ____________ Part of my discussion the other night with friends about shopping was my disdain for too many choices. I don't want to decide high rise, low rise, mid-rise, relaxed fit, boot cut, flared, stone washed, acid washed, pre-shrunk, button-fly.....I just want a pair of slacks! My friend said I should move to a Third World country. I told my husband and he said, "Good luck with that." I guess my shopping disorder isn't worth it to him to move! Feel the love. ____________ Nouwen has been giving me a new perspective on God. Part of The Return of the Prodigal Son is about the motherly, feminine side of God. That is definitely NOT something that has been taught to me in the past. I had heard about it, but nothing definite. What I enjoyed most recently was Nouwen's description of the father loving both sons the same at the return of the prodigal. He went out to meet the prodigal and he went out to ask the elder son to join them. Both sons loved the same, both favorites of the father. That was a hard concept for Nouwen to grasp, but as a mother it is an easy one. I love my children in different ways, but certainly they are both my favorites. I do not love one more than the other, and there is as much room in my heart for one as for the other. I would grieve for both children the same, I adore both the same, I equally care for them. When I put that concept into God's relationship with me and other people, then I see more clearly how He loves me. Sometimes others will have blessings that I don't, but God loves me the same. Sometimes, I will be punished when others are not, but God loves me just as much as them. When I hurt, God hurts for me; when I rejoice, God rejoices with me. He is my Father.

No comments: