Sunday, January 27, 2008

I was thinking about my husband's cell phone recently. He uses it as a pocketwatch. He doesn't wear a wristwatch, hasn't for years; it pulls the arm hair. But he used to keep a watchface in his pocket to know the time. Now he just looks at his phone. I have seen a lot of people do that. My Papaw had a real pocketwatch. He wore overalls most places he went. He walked slowly, with his hands clasped behind his back. Then he would pull out his pocketwatch, on a chain, to check the time. It just seemed less rushed that way; somehow a cell phone time checker seems in a hurry to get somewhere. --------- I spoke with a young lady today who is doing her student teaching. They call it "Senior Internship" now, but it is the same thing; a stamina race to see who can survive the kids, parents, staff requirements, and low pay. She is teaching first grade just like I did, though I had to do two placements and also had 5th graders. It occurred to me later that the kids I had in that first grade class are at least as old as this young lady!!! The kids I student taught could now be student teaching!! Yikes. That means the fifth graders are...I don't want to think about it. --------- Today's sermon was about the Bible. Part of it was about how strange it can seem to us---Hittites, Girgashites, Perizzites, Edomites, etc. #2 looked at me and said "hippo-crites" (long i on crites). I couldn't help myself and laughed out loud. I told Hubby what he had said and everyone laughed. Pooor little guy was embarrassed. I told him it was a funny joke. He said, "Yes, but I didn't want everyone to laugh." Better not grow up to be a comedian.

No comments: