Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Yesterday the word optimist came up and I asked #2 if he knew what it means. He was close and I told him an optimist looks at the bright side of things, expecting the best; a pessimist looks at the down side and expects the worst. #2 said, "It's better to be an optimist. Then you like what is going to happen." #1 had been listening and gave this reply, "It is better to be a pessimist, then you don't get disappointed. If you always expect the worst, then it is good if something happy happens." Truly that is their personalities; I had just never seen a good reason to be a pessimist. ------------ I needed some alone time with God yesterday, so while the guys had their night out I stayed at the house and worshippped. Psalm 116 in the CEV struck me: I love you, Lord! You answered my prayers. You paid attention to me, and so I will pray to you as long as I live. Death attacked from all sides, and I was captured by its painful chains. But when I was really hurting, I prayed and said, "Lord, please don't let me die!" You are kind Lord, so good and merciful. You protect ordinary people, and when I was helpless you saved me and treated me so kindly that I don't need to worry anymore. You Lord have saved my life from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling. Now I will walk at your side in this land of the living. I was faithful to you when I was suffering, though in my confusion I said, "I can't trust anyone!" What must I give you Lord for being so good to me? I will pour out an offering of wine to you, and I will pray in your name because you have saved me. I will keep my promise to you when your people meet. You are deeply concerned when one of your people faces death. I worship you, Lord, just as my mother did, and you have rescued me from the chains of death. I will offer you a sacrifice to show you how grateful I am, and I will pray. I will keep my promise to you when your people gather at your temple in Jerusalem. Shout praises to the Lord! I like especially that God protects ordinary people, and that he is so kind, good, and merciful. It was a good evening.

No comments: