Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Everyone has heard that the economy is in trouble. There are lots of articles on tv and in the papers and magazines about how to save money. I read them with interest each time, but they seldom have anything to say to me. I already do it all! I keep thinking there has to be a way to save more money, to do better than we do. Then I read an article in Kiplinger's, and I realized no one writes articles for me. It was an article titled "Beat High Prices." Some of the examples were to use coupons at the grocery store, don't shop as often at Whole Foods, switch to a free email account, and then the really good ones. Instead of eating out for $204 eat for $89 by ordering things to share, or instead of going to Hawaii for vacation ($5834) go to Disneyland ($2169). I shop at regular grocery stores- Kroger seeming best for me- and use lots of coupons. My email has always been free, I run errands on one day if possible, we seldom eat out anymore, I shop on-line before buying most things, and on and on it goes. Our eating out includes a coupon nearly every time, and if it costs more than $20 for our family of four I feel terrible. Our family vacation was to go see family and stay at the family hotel- Mom's Rooms. I bought bed sheets last night because we had holes in the set we were using. We have one set of sheets for the bed and just wash and then put them right back on again. After 8 years of wash and wear they wore out. They split right down the middle. I found some good ones at Penney's for half price, and paid a little more than I would have liked, but figured if they last 8 years the extra $20 for nicer sheets will be worth it. The sheets that wore out will be used by #2 to make pillows for Christmas presents. He has been learning to sew on the machine. I also have some worn out pants/jeans that will be turned into purses and book bags. Maybe I should write the articles. -------- Speaking of saving money, #1 has been wanting to learn to knit using a Harry Potter book called Charmed Knits. He wanted it for Christmas last year, but I thought it was a phase that would pass. Wrong. So we looked on-line last week and found a used copy for less than half price even with shipping. Now he wants to look for everything on-line. Saving money can be addictive, especially when it is your own! -------- The chicks are doing fine. One died during shipping, trampled most likely. They sent a few extra, so we are full of chicks, 27! Another money saver in our area is freecycle.org. You can put on-line something you want to get rid of and people let you know if they want it. It is all free. Yesterday there was a person getting rid of chick starter feed. I put my name on the list, but may not have been fast enough, I haven't heard back from them.

1 comment:

sheep#100 said...

I freecycle, too. It is a great way to pass along something you don't use any more and also a great way to pick up something you need that someone else doesn't use. Our everyday plates were part of a freecycler's mom's estate!

Another money-saver for me is using the library - liberally. Our taxes support the library so I sort of feel like if I don't use it I am wasting money ;o)

Yet another is our county park system. They maintain some very nice parks and playgrounds and even a sprayground: think sprinklers meet water park. The water is chlorinated and recycled so there is little water lost, too.

And have you heard of BzzAgent? Shoot me an email and I'll hook you up.