Friday, July 25, 2008

We have new chores in our house with the new allowance system. One night a week each boy has to completely clean the kitchen by himself. This has been for several weeks, but somehow #1 didn't have to do it until this week. We had vacation in there, and we ate out one week. So Wednesday eveing he had to do it. We go to church on Wednesday evenings, so I was trying to get dinner in early enough to give him time to clean beforehand. But it just didn't work out. He "cleaned" before we left--- straightened up some things, but no actual cleaning was performed. I told him it looked good, and he could finish when we got back from church. So when we got back he had to start cleaning. It was about 8:30. He thought his brother should clear the table. No. He thought some things should wait until tomorrow when the washer wasn't full. No. He thought this should be worth more points in the allowance system. Again, no. I finally gave in and dried the dishes for him so it wouldn't be too late. Thank goodness I did! There was still ranch dressing on one bowl, food on a spoon, dried stuff in the pot, and more. He didn't turn anything upside down to drain. Has he not been watching when I have washed dishes for the last 11 years!? So I put it all back in the sink and stressed putting a little muscle behind the wash rag. It was 10:00 when he finished. He had a completely new outlook. While washing off the counters- yes that is part of cleaning the kitchen- he made this remark, "Now I know why you sleep so late on Saturdays. You have to stay up so late all week washing dishes. I won't be messing up the kitchen so much anymore." "What do you mean I get up so late on Saturdays? I get up at 7:30 to milk." "Yeah, you sleep late." Since when is 7:30 sleeping late? I think he will get to clean the kitchen twice a week for that!

No comments: