Sunday, July 20, 2008

Kids' toys are getting more and more expensive. We took the boys to Best Buy this weekend to get a digital camcorder. It isn't to be a toy. We all agreed to use some of their "school savings" to get the camera. They are both interested in reporting and movie making. #1 is interested in learning how to make web sites, and #2 wants to make youtube videos. We felt like this would be a good addition to their education, and the skills could help them get into college later, so it was agreed that they could spend their savings. They have been taping everything all weekend. I read the book (as much as I could before the headache set in anyway) and then told #2 what I had learned. He picked up the camera and in 5 minutes already knew everything I had learned! So I thought, "just go ahead and let them experiment." Their first project is a documentary on Summer in our Community. There is a contest with a $250 prize that sure would help pay for the camcorder, so let's all hope they win! The other big weekend news is that the book finally arrived!!!! #1, if you remember, had ordered a book about knitting. He went to the mailbox every day in hopes that it would be there, but it didn't show up until Saturday, of course. So we went to Michael's yesterday so he could buy needles and yarn. We somehow all decided that we will learn, so I also bought some needles and yarn. We stopped at the library to get some books with better directions than the ordered book, and set to learning last night. I was able to figure out two ways of "casting on" and even got my first row knitted! It wasn't a cinch though, so today I found someone at church who knows how to knit. We will be exchanging dinner tomorrow night for knitting lessons. If it goes well, Christmas presents will be in the making. There was a really cute dress for my little niece that would suit her well.

1 comment:

Ashley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.