Monday, September 01, 2008

Church yesterday was interesting. For some reason the songs were hitting me as if I were not a Christian. I was trying to imagine what the words sound like to someone who doesn't believe in Christianity. A lot of the words were Master/Slave based. If you aren't a Christian, I think it would have sounded like what I think of when cults pledge allegiance to their leader, or when extremists give their lives for a cause. I can see why Christianity scares some people. ----------- Yesterday was also Brothers' Day for our family. I think this was the 7th year we have celebrated it. It actually was supposed to be last Sunday, but Hubby and I forgot. Years ago the boys had had enough of Mother's Day and Father's Day, so they wanted to know when Brothers' Day was going to be. We made it the fourth Sunday in August---this one having five Sundays is what threw us off. Anyway, we went out to eat at the boys' choice, Golden Corral, and I gave each of them a book as a present. I asked them what the three best things about each other's brother is. They came up with answers like, "He's good to wrestle with." Then we turned to Hubby and asked about his brother. The number one thing he likes about his brother? "He's not the good looking one." Gee whiz! ------------ Tomorrow in Geography our family is to cover Communism and the USSR. We are studying countries of Asia that were once under Soviet control. Last evening we had a cookout with friends from church, and one of them used to live in Yugoslavia. He told me about his parents fleeing communism, Mussollini, and Hitler. What scary times!

No comments: