Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Art, Elections, and Truth from a Child

The kids had their last art class for the semester last evening. We have taken this art class for 3 years now! It really was time for #1 to move up to the next level, but I didn't want to drive over there twice a week, so I held him back a year. Next fall I will move him up and have #2 skip a grade. They have really improved their skills, learned to use different media, and had a good time being with others in a group setting. The last class is always an "art show." I think this was sponge painting collages. #1 did the moons right behind his jacket. They made maracas using paper mache and ballons. This didn't turn out so well with the camera, but these were my favorite pictures. They used chalk and then smeared white paint on it in swirls. Neat effect.
These are #3-4. #3 also takes art there. Their mother is planning to lie about #4's age if he can't get in next year! They enjoy the class as well.
------------- Yesterday was election day in our 4-H club. Last year it was a very stressful day. There were other families in our club at the time, and they were not nice at all. The kids jeered and refused to vote for people, AND the parents just looked the other way. It was a stressful, hurtful day, and I am glad it was not repeated.
#1 didn't want to run for anything this year. I thought that was a good idea since he has always been something, and needs to give others a chance. I also thought it might be a good year to not have extra commitments that Mom has to help with!
This is #1 with a smile, so hard to catch on camera, and his friend the VP.This is #1 as President (looking like a deer in the headlights!) beside the new Preident-elect.We always start the meetings with the Pledge of Allegiance and the 4-H Pledge. I pledge my head to clearer thinking, my heart to greater loyalty, my hands to larger service, and my health to better living for my club, my community, my country, and my world.
#2 wanted to run for Vice President. The dilemma was that he would be running against his best friend. It was a mutual dilemma. Both houses were going through the drama, "What should I do? I want to run, but I want to vote for my friend." As it ended up they both voted for each other. It is a secret ballot, but the person counting votes told the two moms what they had done. They are such good buddies!
I asked #2 last night how he was doing with the results. He said he was a little disappointed, but he was glad that J won. In fact, J went with us after 4-H to the art show and then joined the guys for their "night out." So I guess all is well.
---------
Monday I was working on the computer for a bit, and #2 was playing a game on his computer. #5 walked in to my room and started talking about the computer. He was bemoaning the fact that they aren't allowed to play games on their computer at home. I said that my boys weren't allowed to play computer games when they were 4 years old, either. "Yeah," he sighed. "It takes a long time to be an adult. You can't be an adult in just a minute." How true, but for the mamas time sure does fly.
This is #5 at the art show. He is much cuter than this, but seemed to be very tired. Maybe he is sneaking computer games in when his parents are asleep!

No comments: