Monday, December 22, 2008

On The Seventh Day, Part 3 Conclusion

I don't expect to change anyone's mind about what they believe the woman's role in worship is; I only write to ease my frustration and allow you a look into my heart. Within my religious heritage movement there is a deep seeded belief that we must do exactly what the Scriptures say or we are in danger of Hell. That belief overlooks the mercy of a Father who loves us so much He sacrificed his God Son for us. We are His children and, therefore, deeply loved. This does not in any way say that we can purposely disobey Him or act counter to his personality. What it does mean is that we should look so closely at the way the Son behaved that we can see how God would instruct us today. Here is what I see:
There are times when Jesus disrupted the belief system of his time. He "broke" the Sabbath on several occasions. "Which is better, to do evil or to do good?" He seemed to promote looking out for yourself. "Be as wise as serpents." He even suggested there are times when you should break from your family. "I have come to pit brother against brother, father against son, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law..."
In a time when women were believed to be less than a man, Jesus treated women with respect and love. He taught the women as well as the men. He had female supporters and disciples. He responded to women in ways that were unacceptable for a man to respond. He loved women, spoke with women, ate with women, and was ministered to by women. Women blessed him, and he praised their actions. I look at this example and ask myself, "How can God not want me to be a leader in a worship assembly?" Within worship we love, speak, eat, minister, and bless. In what way am I negating the Word if I act as Jesus acted? It is time for all of God's children to be allowed to fully participate at the Table of Worship. ----------- On a lighter note...Yesterday was our Family Christmas. I suppose you could call it "Mom's Christmas." We always go to WV to celebrate the holiday with our families. After we had children, I tried to stop this tradition, wanting to spend the holiday at my house with my children. But I have always been out voted; the men in my family want to go to WV. I understand, I truly do. It is a great time to see everyone together and share our blessings and our lives with each other. But as a woman, wife, and mother, I want those sharing times to be our family times as well. There have been times when I have so resented going home that I have been a bear for the holidays, even I dare say, another "b" word. So last year we decided to have a Family Christmas here to appease me. We picked a day as close to the holiday as possible without stressing ourselves by adding to the packing, etc. and we celebrated my way. (Sounds selfish huh? But after 10 years of everyone else getting their way, I think it was time I got a little space.) We have a great dinner, open presents, go see lights, and share some time together. I love it. I would like to have the experience of my children opening Santa gifts on Christmas morning at my own house, but I so much don't want to spoil the magic for them that we ask Santa to go to WV. Allowing our parents to see the boys on Christmas morning is a blessing too, though, so I guess this way I get the best of both worlds. ------- We leave today for our holiday trip so I will "talk" to you after Christmas. May God bless you all.

No comments: