Thursday, December 11, 2008

Innocence NOT Lost

My children are sweet. I love them with all my heart. I truly wouldn't change them one bit. I absolutely know they are a gift from God. HOWEVER, they drive me nuts!
We spent yesterday cleaning their room. It has looked terrible for quite a while- months- and they have been sent to clean it numerous times. But somehow their idea of clean means moving things to other spots. So about quarterly I enter the room and go insane trying to clean it. I suppose I am either not a good mother or a very poor teacher. I have actually tried to teach them how to clean the room, how to organize, how to make me happy. They just don't get it. I even threaten to send them back and get daughters instead, but then Hubby reminds me that I requested sons, and I slink off to clean some more.
This time of year always involves the Christmas Cleanout. This is when I demand they get rid of 6 things each so that they can have room for what they get at Christmas. Yesterday, however, they didn't have much to get rid of...a magic kit and a marble maze. But we still managed to make a lot of room where there hadn't been any. How? We threw away trash. Yes, trash. For some reason the trash can in their room is invisible when I am not in there. Yes, it is amazing, I know, but they have been reading a lot of Harry Potter. They have learned to put a spell on the trash can so that it only appears in my presence.
#2 likes to put things all over his bed. There is absolutely no space to sleep. I went in last week to cover him and couldn't even get to the blanket because of all the lightsabers and markers. I told him yesterday he better marry a very patient woman. At dinner as we discussed once again how to not get into this predicament again, I told #2 that I need him to stop having ideas. Either stop having ideas, or see them through to the finish and then clean up after yourself. He agreed to the second option. #1 said he would have chosen to just not have any more ideas.
#2 wanted to take a picture of his bed a few weeks ago after one of his cleanings. This is just one end of the bed. He usually has a library or art studio at the other end.
Today I have them cleaning out their treasure boxes. These are large drawer boxes under their beds where they are to keep the things of utmost importance to them. Perhaps I am not such a bad teacher after all. #1 came in earlier to tell me he had made three piles--trash and recycle, things that go in other places, and things that stay in the box. Perhaps there is light at the end of this VERY long tunnel!
----------
#1 wrote his letter to Santa this week. He made 2 copies for his grandparents and mailed all three letters off yesterday. Santa was able to intercept his letter before the post carrier came. I read it last night. There are two letters in the envelope. The first says, "Read me first." on the outside. It is a nice friendly letter to Santa. The second letter says, "Read me second." and it contains "THE LIST." He told me that he wrote a letter to the grandparents so that he wouldn't appear rude to just send a list of wants. I guess he was afraid of that for Santa too.
So Santa shopped online this morning, and had it all delivered to the drop site in WV. That Santa sure is getting smart. No worries trying to hide things in the van!

No comments: