Tuesday, August 07, 2012

A Treat Defined

This is a treat, at least it was when I was a kid. It's called milkweed. 
See the white stuff coming out where I picked it? That's the reason for the name, milkweed. 
You can split the pod in half lengthwise. 
 Inside you will find this little fish hidden away.
 If you wait until fall to pick the pods, the fish inside are silvery instead of white.
The "tail" of the fish will flake off in feathery pieces and float away on the wind.
When I was a kid I loved to pick these sticky pods, open them up to discover the fish, and then tear them apart to float away.
Last week I was talking to my mother-in-law about getting an Icee and a soft pretzel at Hill's Department Store. It was a real treat, something that only happened 3-4 times a year. My son, #2, then piiped up with, "Yeah! Let's have a treat and get an Icee!" I informed him that he doesn't have any idea what a treat is. He can get an Icee almost weekly if I am feeling generous. Something you can get weekly is not a treat.
I haven't opened milkweed for years. That was definitely a treat.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: