Wednesday, August 22, 2012

We Don't Really Know What We Are Doing

I have a degree in Elementary Education. I believe that degree, combined with the common sense and discipline that my parents and extended family administered during my formative years, prepared me to be a pretty good parent and teacher. I taught for about four years before I became a parent, and then I taught for two more years afterward. I planned on returning to work once the kids started school.
But halfway through public school Kindergarten, my husband and I came to realize that school was harming our first-born, and we brought him home. It was with the plan to send him back the next year when he was more mature, but I guess he never matured, or we just really liked having him at home with us. Whatever the reason, we now find ourselves ten years later still educating our children at home.
Both boys are in high school this year, and I am having to teach some higher thoughts than my Elementary Education degree prepared me to think. Hubby, thankfully, has stepped in with Algebra, and we are hiring a tutor for #1 to do Algebra 2 and Discrete Mathematics. American History is fun, and I can handle that. I have planned some interesting field trips for the whole family to enjoy, and soon we will be heading to Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown.
But Biology is a problem. When #1 went through it two years ago, a friend taught it to a group of kids. I happily handed the subject over to my professional nurse friend, knowing that she knew more about Biology than I. But her family situation has changed, and now I find myself once again under the shadow of a huge Biology text book.
After scanning through the chapters and choosing experiments that look interesting, easy to accomplish, and not too expensive, I ordered supplies. Last week a shipment containing a mushroom garden and a dissection kit for five echinoderms arrived. The dark jars of dead matter attracted my son much more than they interested me. I also spent a day at the pet store searching for snails and worms and mealworms. Oh, it's going to be fun! Last night I ordered photosensitive paper and a Triops kit. Tomorrow I head out in search of brine shrimp. (I call them Sea Monkeys.)
Another box that arrived last week is one that has me curious and extremely cautious. I ordered something called blue biuret solution from the Biology Supply Company. I had to have it shipped to my school, sign an affidavit that it was for educational purposes, and promise my first born grandchild if I mishandle any of the solution.
Today I took it out of the box. The box labelled "Danger Keep Out" and covered with blackskulls and cross bones. Inside the box was a lot of bubble packaging and a slip of paper again stating to handle with extreme care. There was a red plastic bag containing another plastic bag containing a sawdust-like mixture containing the bottle of biuret solution.
At that point I decided perhaps I don't really know what I am doing educating my children. But we sure are going to have fun doing it.

No comments: