Friday, August 17, 2012

For a Season

I hung laundry out on Thursday. It was such a pleasant day. The scorching heat of summer vaporized with a storm on Wednesday, and finally I could breathe when I ventured outside. I love spring in Eastern Carolina. The weather is warm and balmy, flowers burst forth in color, and daylight brightens even the darkest corners. Summer's beginning is not too terrible, as days warm and trips to the nearby waterfront to look at boats and enjoy an ice cream cone are common. But then summer hits full force and I can't stand to be outside. The heat and humidity take my breath away, quite literally, and slogging through a day trying to find comfort in air conditioned rooms is about all I can accomplish.
Now, enjoying the sweet smell of freshly mown grass and new laundry off the line, I again enjoy summer's pleasures, but it is not far from my mind that autumn will be here soon and then winter will burden me with dreary days of grading papers, shuffling children, and trying to decide what to cook for dinner.
These earthly seasons are not so different from life's times and seasons. It seems that a lot has changed in my life in the last seven months or so. My circle of friends has changed, my relationship with my older son has been rerouted, my animals have died, my life has been altered. I tell myself it is just a changing of the seasons, but I think of it with the shadow of an approaching autumn. I know good things are ahead, but eventually all of the old ones will disappear in a winter of relationship. I must not become too attached to this ever-revolving world. For everything there is a season.

No comments: