Thursday, August 16, 2012

Are Your Frontal Lobes Connected?

I have a friend whose husband is a neuropsychiatrist. He studies how the brain affects behavior, basically. One of his and his wife's favorite sayings about teens is: "Their frontal lobes aren't connected yet." The frontal lobe helps you make rational decisions. Some other friends and myself are not so scientific in our behavior declarations. We just say teenagers turn stupid for about 5 years. #2 definitely doesn't have his frontal lobes connected yet, and I am thinking that he has turned stupid. He is 13 after all.
I came home last week from an errand, and he welcomed me with this: "I scared myself. I saw some broken earbuds, and I put one in my ear. There wasn't anything attached to it, so then I couldn't get it out. I kept trying to get it out, but it kept getting deeper in. Finally I got tweezers and got it out."
Really? I thought he knew not to put things in his ears!
Then today he was mowing the yard. I got out of the shower, looked out the window, and saw that the mower was stopped and no kid in sight. Coming out into the hallway, I called for him. "Why aren't you mowing?"
"The mower kept spluttering, so I thought I better turn it off."
"Did you put in gas?"
"Oh. No."
I am certain he could have figured that out a year ago. Stupid and disconnected. How many more years?!

No comments: