Friday, August 31, 2012

Catch Your Fish First

Several weeks ago in Sunday School, one of the participants said that his dad was always fond of saying, "Jesus likes to catch his fish before he cleans them." That has stuck with me.
We have several people at church who recently came to Jesus. Not only did they recently come to Jesus, but they did not previously have Judeo-Christian moral behaviors/tendencies. That makes a lot of Jesus's teachings foreign, to say the least.
Why wouldn't God want me to live with this guy? He is good to me, never beats me, shares his money with me; I don't understand what is so awful about living together.
Why would God care if I told a white lie? It didn't hurt anyone and no one got their feelings hurt. In fact, it made you think better of me than if I hadn't told it.
It would be so easy to ignore these people. They don't understand the rules and teaching them the rules is going to cost me something. But Jesus would not have ignored them. Jesus would have taught them the rules.
BUT Jesus would also have welcomed them into his embrace before they understood all of the rules. Even the Twelve Apostles didn't understand Jesus, and look at what he was able to do with them! Jesus caught his fish and then cleaned them, not the other way around.

No comments: