Saturday, August 18, 2012

Hills and Mountains

I grew up in rural West Virginia. Okay, so there isn't much of WV that isn't rural, but it really was where I grew up! I have a memory of visiting my grandparents on the other side of the county. As we drove down the dusty dirt road I looked to my left and saw a man cutting hay with a tractor. Honestly, it would not have been unusual for me to see what I saw, but for some reason it hit me hard and still lives in my memory.
What I saw was a farmer making hay on the side of a steep hill. I was terrified that the tractor would flip over on itself. My family's farm is, of course, also on a very hilly tract of land. To brush hog some parts of it, you have to drive at an alarming angle. It's the way of life there.
The hills are often problems. Walking up Nestor Hill always takes your breath and energy. As a newby driver getting caught in a snowstorm going up Lewellen Hill was nerve wracking to say the least. My husband, as a young man, had to mow grass on the side of a mountain, never a fun chore.
The hills and mountains also provide great blessings and beauty. They can be treachurous, yes, but what I miss most about my home state is the mountains. I love the way you get a new scene depending where you stand. I enjoy the sight of a hillside of autumn color. I think of rolling hillsides of wildflowers, sledding down a winter lane, and hanging tight to a horse's mane while we slid into the creek at the bottom of the hill.
Mountains and hills need to be viewed with careful perception. There is a good side to a mountain, as well as a bad and dangerous side. Forging through the mountainous difficulties makes the morning sunrise of disappearing fog and mist the most beautiful sight you will ever see.

No comments: