Thursday, November 30, 2006

The phone rang at 3:53 a.m. Could it be a wrong number immediately went through my mind. Then, the man asked for my husband. Certainly this isn't a benevolence call or telemarketer at this hour! No, he went on to say why he called. The daughter of one of our members had been struck by a car and killed. Could my husband go and tell the father? Oh, what horror. What terrible sadness. Grief, aching inside of me...for her, for the father, the whole family. And constantly the thought, "Please Lord, don't ever let us get a call like this for one of our sons." Selfish, I know, but it is what I feel and think. I realized so concretely at 4 this morning, that I have little control over what happens to them. They could be in a car accident today, this morning, gone within a couple of hours. How precious and precarious is this life. Lord, please protect us.

No comments: