Sunday, April 27, 2008

Hubby was preaching today about being content from Philippians 4. At one point he said something about evangelizing his neighborhood. #2 got a shocked look and asked, "Why would he want to vandalize the neighborhood?" Close. ----------- Something was said in Bible class that has had me thinking today. We have been studying the book of Kings, and often noting how the Israelites forget what has happened and continue farther down the road away from God. We all seem very surprised by the Israelites inability to see what has happened and to change course back to God. But then I start putting it into my situation today. I know that the USA is not God's chosen nation, but we have historically been a nation for Christ. We also seemed to be a very blessed nation, and many put that down to our basis in Christianity. But if you look at our relatively recent history, you can see how quickly we have turned from God and chosen another path. In the early 1900s our nation started loosening up on alcohol use, how women dressed, and the language permissible in the company of others. Science was changing the world, and we weren't being left behind. Medicine was changing and experiments were being performed on the handicapped and senile. By the 1960s, alcohol and drugs were sweeping the nation. Open ended relationships were replacing monogamous relationships as the norm. In the next 40 years what you saw on television and the movie theater would change drastically. Prayer and patriotism would no longer be allowed in schools. Behaviors of children would change, no one would be blamed for much, our health and wealth would desist, and yes, we would leave God. It all started as a small slide, that has turned into a roller coaster. As I have grown up during most of the changes I can't say that I noticed it as much, until recently I have had it put upon my heart. Much like a prophet in the ancient times of Israel, I imagine my message will not be welcome. I wonder if it will take hundreds of years for our country to return to God...or will we at all?

No comments: