Sunday, April 06, 2008

I realized more strongly today how God's ways are not man's ways. Sometimes God makes absolutely no sense, and I really wish I could see the bigger picture so that I wouldn't be so frustrated by God's "inconsistencies." In Bible study this morning we were looking at King Ahab, Jezebel, and King Jehosaphat. It plainly says that King Ahab did all he could to disobey God. Jezebel didn't really have to have anything said about her- she was obviously wicked. Ahab was told that all of his male family members would die because of the way he behaved. He showed "remorse" and God said, ok it wouldn't happen until Ahab had already died. Then Ahab went on his merry way disobeying all the more. But King Jehosaphat turned his people toward God. He convinced them that they should follow God as their ancestors had done. Then Jehosaphat and Ahab formed an alliance against the Syrians. Jehosaphat made sure to ask God's blessing on the attack, all that you would think he should have done to please God. The answer: God is angry with you Jehosaphat. Now how in the world does that seem like a Godly response? The only thing I could take away from it was, "God's ways are not my ways and he knows ever so much more that I ever will." I also thought about "To whom much has been given, much will be demanded." So maybe I am glad that I don't understand "much."

No comments: