Thursday, April 03, 2008

I started reading Humility by Andrew Murray last night. Here are a couple quotes from the intro and chapter one. "Others have thought that the strength of self-condemnation is the secret of humility. And the Christian life has suffered loss, because believers have not been distinctly guided to see that nothing is more natural and beautiful and blessed than to be nothing, so that God may be all." "The call to humility has been too little regarded in the church because its true nature and importance have been too little understood. It is not something that we bring to God or that He bestows. It is simply the sense of entire nothingness, which comes when we see how truly God is all, and in which we make way for God to be all. Man must realize that this is the true nobility. He must consent to be- with his will, his mind, his desires- the form and the vessel in which the life and glory of God are to work and manifest themselves. Then he will see that humility is simply acknowledging the truth of his position as man and yielding to God His place." I found this refreshing. Humility is not abasing myself because of sin, but realizing God's place in the order of things. Humilty should be natural when we realize who God is. ----------- Boy, the third graders in Waycross, GA stunned me. I have a third grader and I can't imagine his little mind or heart wanting to harm anyone in such a way. He may want to pound his brother, but true harm is never his intention. The truly stunning part of it is that people are asking how could this happen. I think it is rather obvious that these children have been allowed to watch things that are not intended for them, they have been ignored and neglected by their parents, and they do not yet know the love of the Lord. How sad that this should happen. ----------- I was telling my kids about God's telling me in the Bible that He can be trusted. #2 said it sounds like God was giving me an April Fool's joke.

No comments: