Thursday, March 05, 2009

Joy

Another fitful night. I am definitely thinking I am past the "I want another baby" stage. I went out to check on Manly every hour starting at 6:00 last night. At 11:00 I tried to get him to nurse, no luck, and then brought him inside. I put him in a box with a towel by the furnace. I slept in the next room.
About 4:00 he woke up and didn't want to settle down, so at 4:30 I took him out to his momma. HE NURSED!! Bless his heart, his little tail was wagging and I could hear him slurping it down. So I turned on the heat lamp and left him out there at 5:00.
This morning he is still seeming to have trouble figuring out the suckling, but I guess he will get it if he was able to earlier. I almost think he is farsighted or something.
But the really good news, that titles this Joy, is that Madison had a baby!! NO PROBLEMS!!! She had been crying all morning yesterday, but was still out wandering the field. When I left at 2:30 to pick up kids, I didn't see her and thought I better run and check first. All of the goats were under the barn roof. The one I thought was Mary in the field with her kids was actually Madison with her new kid. She evidently had her out in the field while standing up. She only had one, and she is large, but I am fine with that as long as we don't have complications.
These are the kids playing in the morning sun. They are getting to the extremely cute time. They run, scamper, jump, explore, and knock each other down.
This is Manly meeting Joy. They are half siblings. Joy is the big one on the right. She is less than a day old and Manly is about 3 days old. He was the runt of the litter.
This is Aunt Madison checking out Manly. I guess she gave her approval because they nuzzled each other after that, and the mothers walked away.
Two mothers and their kids. Madison seems to be a good mother, never letting Joy get too far away. I already knew Faye was a good mother, but she still should get some recognition.

1 comment:

Carol - Ed Townsend said...

Traci: Ed and enjoyed the goat stories and photos. Congrats on successful deliveries of the "kids." Carol Townsend