Friday, April 03, 2009

Time to Play

Hubby and I were helpers at an FCA Bible study the past couple of weeks. A friend asked if we could help this campus group. It seems that they were wanting to learn about godly relationships within dating and marriage. As we will be married 20 years this year, and had recently been campus ministers, my friend thought we would be good helpers. The interesting part, that my friend didn't know, was that I had just a day before been thinking of how I miss college age ministry.
We met at 8:30 pm (I don't particularly miss the hours!) on Thursday evenings. The students were such good kids. They had a lot of fun, asked good questions, and earnestly want better relationships. It was another encouragement to me that there are still bright spots in the world.
----------
The in-laws are here now. They haven't been here since November, so everyone is glad to see them again. Today they plan on taking the boys to an antiques store, something we all love to do! I didn't plan any school work for today, knowing that #1 needs to rest before the big night. He is in a play this weekend. I think we have found his niche. He likes acting, public speaking, performing, writing, film making, just about anything performance based. Tuesday he will be directing a puppet show at the 4-H meeting.
----------
The house is coming along well, I think. The stairwell is being worked on, the sub-flooring is laid and the hardwood acclimating upstairs for a week before it can be laid. The windows have been ordered, and the heating and air go in on Monday. It is very stressful as people come and go, throw ideas and questions at you, and ask for money. I guess this is why you get a contractor!
----------
I helped a young friend yesterday to prepare for the writing section of the ACT. I have been grading papers for her for several months, but yesterday I wanted to make sure she understood how to brainstorm and to manage her time. We brainstormed about 6-7 prompts, then I let her pick one to actually complete. She finished in 15 minutes- you get 30. I told her she didn't want to be done, but she assured me she did. After a few minutes of corrections, she decided perhaps she didn't want to be done. The next practice went better. The test is Saturday morning. I hope she does well.

No comments: