Thursday, April 30, 2009

Language Controversy

Well the saga of what to say and where continues. While my parents were here, we were having dinner in the dining room with me, Hubby, Mom, Dad, and a guy from church. The boys were at the countertop in the kitchen- definitely within hearing. #1 was telling a story to #2 about a Garfield cartoon, when he says, "That's a ---- good idea." I said, "#1! We don't say that word." He looked a little confused and said sorry. Later I asked him about it, and he said he was explaining what Jon said in the cartoon. Then he went on to say how upset he is that those words are in a children's book because then how are you supposed to know when you can say something? On Tuesday we were having lunch with a friend of mine and there were 5 children along- 2 of them mine. #2 says (and I am two tables away), "#1 got in trouble for saying ----." I whipped around and said, "#2 you don't blurt that out." Now he looked confused, but went on with their conversation. A couple of minutes later I hear them spouting off the words you aren't to say and which books they are in so that their friends don't make the mistake of running into them! I told my friend it is a good thing they don't know other things or they would be telling all of the kids about that. I wonder if I have been too much of a dictionary and not enough of a disciplinarian in this area. But then last night I was helping a couple of friends with a project when the word "wus" came up. I didn't understand why a father was upset that a guy called his daughter that. I had to be enlightened as to what it means. I thought it just meant you are a wimp. So even though I am 30 years older than my kids I am having the same conversations with my friends! Maybe it is best if we all join a convent and take a vow of silence. ---------- Finished testing yesterday!!! The boys had friends come to Youth Group last night because we had a dinner at church. After dinner they had Group, and then Hubby made funnel cakes for everyone. After that I took all of the kids to Baskin-Robbins for ice cream. We didn't get home until midnight. Today is to be spent enjoying staying home- for the most part- and celebrating no school work. Encoded message there means we are cleaning house!

No comments: