Sunday, April 26, 2009

Parents Visit

The parents got here on Thursday afternoon. We were able to visit on Thursday, and then started the real work on Friday. We worked through the weekend, so I didn't end up with pictures of us working. My dad and Hubby were able to frame in the walls and closets to the boys' rooms. The windows didn't make it in, so we will have another guy do that. The electrician will come tomorrow to do the upstairs. I also have people coming in the next couple of days to give estimates on drywall and mudding. Today I am looking over the budget and seeing how much trouble we are in. We may have to just hook up the ac and put walls in next year! This is the view from what will be #2's bedroom. There is no window there yet. If #2 had his way, he would never get one. The windowsill should be quite wide, so he is looking forward to having flowers and herbs growing there.
Above is the view of #2's bedroom and closet from #1's doorway. Below is #1's bedroom and closet. The plan for his closet changed since the floor slopes badly in this area. You work with what you have.
Below is a picture of some progress on the stairwell. We ended up having to make a change here too as the oak skirt was not available at the discount store. We went with pine and will paint it to match the trim in the hallway. Some decisions have to be economical instead of aesthetic.
The floor guy's wife had her baby last night, so he will be out of commission for a while. He has been a tremendous help to us, so I will miss him terribly. The baby and mother are both healthy; for that we are very thankful, and I do not begrudge her wanting to keep Ben at home a couple weeks.
My mom worked on the house shutters. They were very, very faded, and some had come loose. I decided I wanted to take them off of the house, except in the front. So she spray painted them Hunter Green, and I will hang them in the next week or so. I will wait for a picture of them after they are hung. She also did a lot of cooking and cleaning. Got to love those mothers!
I worked on cleaning out the work shed. I was able to get a lot of garbage taken out- it's still in the back of the van- and things organized. I also spent a lot of time answering questions and making decisions. I am ready for this to be over, that's for sure.
Now they have headed back to WV to get their own work done. It never stops, no matter how old you are.
-------
Tomorrow starts the "End of the Year Testing" week. My boys love this time. They visit with friends and eat lots of snacks, oh, and they take a test. It is also the mark of the end of the school year, so it makes it even more exciting. We will celebrate on Wednesday evening at Baskin-Robbins 31 cent scoop night.

No comments: